This project involves the activities collect the issues and concerns of all the stakeholders on e-waste management along with the potential solutions to address the problems of handling e-wastes. And mass awareness campaign will be conducted to provide information on e-wastes and their hazards on environment, along with the focus on e-waste, this mass media campaign will also concentrate on awareness raising and sensitization of public on improvement of solid waste management issues. The project also aims on electrification from bio-gas lighting the street lights in Kupandole area and establishment of e-waste management unit to demonstrate the e-waste management practically.
To date, as per project activity we had completed the inception workshop with all the stakeholders related to the project. The orientation program for 10 surveyors was also conducted before the survey and started the survey program as per our plan. The survey will run for 3 months. We had a brief MoU with AdvertNepal for production of the awareness commercial and one commercial has been ready already. We have been working on designs of the posters and hoardings.
1. An Inception workshop to introduce the project to all the stakeholders related with the project. It was organized on 8th August 2014 at Solid Waste Management Technical Support Center (SWMTSC) Hall at Pulchowk. We had 25 participants in the program who were invited as our guests. They were from UNDP – GEF/SGP, Kathmandu Metropolitan City, Lalitpur Sub-Metropolitan City, District Development Committee (DDC) Lalitpur, NGO Federation Lalitpur, District Administration Office Lalitpur, Ministry of Science, Technology and Environment, Department of Environment, World Bank, Advert Nepal Pvt. Ltd., SWMTSC and media persons as well. This workshop had a brief introduction of WEPCO and Project. We had hon. Madan Bahadur Amatya, CA Member as our chief guest of the program who urged to help us with the project related with electrification of the bio-gas. We also had Mr. Bharat Nyachho, chief of NC, Lalitpur as our guest in the program who provided us important suggestions for project activity. We collected the suggestions and recommendations from each participants related with project.
2. As per our plan we made an agreement with Advert Nepal Private Limited for production of three awareness commercials and their release. We provided the 50% advance of the total amount of grant to be provided as US $ 5,000 only,to Advert Nepal. One commercial related with information of e-waste and its management is ready and will be released after its approval. Advert Nepal will also be working on design of the posters and hoardings to be displayed under our project activity of mass awareness campaign. And Advert Nepal Private is now working on pre-production of remaining 2 awareness commercials.
3. As per our time frame we completed the development of the questionnaires for our survey program and organized a orientation program for the surveyors at WEPCO Hall on 15th September 2014. The total amount of cost of the orientation program was US $ 375 only. This activity briefly described about the project activity and its objectives. The surveyors were oriented on how to achieve these objectives within the given time frame. We had 10 surveyors who participated in this orientation program. After that we had a brief contract with surveyors and they are now at field working on survey as per our designed model for survey with different sectors as follows:
Household : 50
Organization managing e-waste: 50
Government offices: 20
Electronic Shops: 20
Repairing shops: 20
Till date surveyors have completed with 20 electronic, 20 repairing shops, 50 organization managing e-waste, 20 NGOs and 20 INGOs. They are now working with remaining households.
PROJECT ACTIVITIES TO BE COMPLETED
1. We will complete our survey and all the data collected will be analyzed and we will come up with a brief report on it. The report will be presented in our very first workshop on existing scenario on e-waste management and information dissemination that will be organized for E-Waste management for policy recommendation. The main objective of this activity will be disseminate the information on current scenario of e-waste in Kathmandu Valley and existing policy regarding with e-waste management will be discussed. This workshop on focus on sensitizing the concerned stakeholders about potential environment and health hazards, issues and concerns with handling e-waste as well as suggestions and recommendations for guiding to formulate policy for mitigating impacts of e-waste.
The other two workshops; one with different organization working on e-waste management and other workshop for compiling policy documents regarding e-waste management conducted by expert will also be completed within next reporting period.
2. As per our plan we will complete the production of remaining two awareness commercials on solid waste management and release them in national television. The Posters and hoarding will be completed and distributed and displayed respectively before our next reporting period
3. The activity of capacity building and mobilization of eco-clubs in e-waste management is on other half of project year where we will be organizing training cum workshop for eco-clubs on e-waste management which will be capacity building approach. While we will mobilize these eco-clubs to collect e-waste and manage them making models at their school and will be awarded for best one, which will be transferred to WEPCO’s demonstration site to exhibit for regular visitors.
4. For the project activity with electrification of biogas, we had started with the opening slab of outlet to suction out all the water and sludge inside the biogas plant and maintenance of the plant. The handle for crushing the waste was also taken out. But the construction of drainage has started on opposite bank of Bagmati River by government. The biogas comes under the stretch of river where the drainage will be constructed in near future. So, we have not been working on this now. If possible we would like to propose a new project activity on this budget given.
Project in Pictures: